a hauntingly beautiful flute
small enough to take wherever you go.
You could find time to enjoy it and to become really good at it because you could play
whenever you had a free moment.
Watching the sunset...
Hiking in the mountains...
Waiting in a parked car...
That is the Magic of
Give You The Freedom
To Play Anytime...
What Do Mountain Ocarinas®
1) Concert-Quality Pocket Flutes With A Look
And Sound That You Can Feel Proud Of: While easy to learn, our unique patented precision
ocarinas are worthy of serious dedication and public performance.
2) Freedom To Play Anytime, Anywhere:
Our instruments are truly pocket-sized (and are very durable)
so that they can go wherever you go.
3) Affordable Home Music Support To Help You Be Successful:
Our home-learning materials and free online support allow you to grow musically at home,
without a private teacher.
4) A Lifetime Guarantee: We want you to feel free to take
your ocarina along with you. Therefore, if one of your MOUNTAIN OCARINAS®
ever becomes inoperable due to accidental damage, we will replace it free of charge with an
ocarina of similar value.
What Is Unique
About Mountain Ocarinas®?
1) Concert-Quality: With their unmatched combination of wide tonal range, intuitive fingering pattern,
and big sound (relative to other ocarinas), our patented flutes are worthy of serious dedication and public performance.
Research Aimed At Bringing
You The Best Possible Pocket Flutes
Mountain Ocarinas® has devoted considerable time and expense to
prototyping and research in order to bring you ocarinas that you won't outgrow as your
- Actually, our quest to produce the ultimate pocket flute is an ongoing passion which
has yielded one patent, three patents pending, and some exciting designs for the future.
Made With Precision So That
You Get Consistent Sound Quality
Sometimes makers of folk flutes will produce instruments of varying quality: some are lemons while others
Our innovative ocarinas are made to strict tolerances so that you can count on consistent sound quality.
- Our handsome hardwood ocarinas now have a precision resin liner to protect against the swelling, shrinking, cracking,
and mold problems commonly associated with unlined wood instruments.
Hardwood Ocarina Flutes
A Wider Tonal Range
So That You Can Play
Their wider tonal range* (relative to most ocarinas) means that you can play a greater body of music. Because they
cover the comfortable vocal range and are fully chromatic, you can play right through a book of hymns or through any
songbook in that range without half-covering toneholes.
- Mountain Ocarinas® play an octave and three notes with all the sharp and
flats (i.e., a musical eleventh, or 18 tones) and are available in the keys of C and G.
Fully chromatic means that you can play them in many keys besides just in C or in G. For example, it is easy to
play songs in the key of D on our C ocarina.
A Bigger Sound So That
You Can Perform In Public
Their big sound (relative to most ocarinas) means that you can enjoy playing in public or sitting in with other
musicians even without a microphone.
- Any instrument sounds adequate when you are sitting at your kitchen table, but you will appreciate our big sound
when performing, Christmas caroling, playing outside or in large auditoriums, etc.
- When people hear me play unmiked at large conventions or trade shows, they are often amazed that such a big,
beautiful sound is coming from such a slim little flute no more than four and a half inches long (11.43 cm).
Stronger Low Notes So That
You Can Play With More Emotion
Their strong-blowing low notes (relative to most ocarinas) mean that you can play slower pieces with more
expressiveness and faster pieces with more excitement, punch, and drive.
- Some people, especially at first, may prefer a subdued sounding ocarina that requires you to blow very
softly on the low notes. The problem is that such an instrument can suck the excitement, passion, and drama
right out of many types of music that you may eventually want to play. Hence, you can get stuck playing only
a certain type of music.
Squeakproof High Notes So That
You Can Perform With Confidence
Their squeakproof high notes allow you more confidence to play in public and more freedom to play very quietly when you need to.
- Some woodwinds emit annoying (and embarrassing) squeaks or squawks if you don't blow correctly on the high notes.
Mountain Ocarinas® are very forgiving!
An Intuitive Fingering Pattern
So That You Can Learn Faster
And Go Farther
Their intuitive linear fingering pattern (similar to the saxophone, clarinet, flute, recorder, etc.) is not only
easy to learn but will also permit you to play highly complex and ornamented music when you are ready.
- While their tone is beautiful on slow hymns or airs, they are also ideal for playing driving Celtic tunes with all
the traditional ornamentation. Native American, Jazz, Classical, Folk, Blues, you name it. In the long run you can make
phenomenal music with these tough little flutes that weigh only a few ounces and fit in the palm of your hand.
- And you can perform traditional Celtic ornamentation such as cuts and rolls more easily than on the bagpipes, tin whistle,
or Irish flute.
- Actually, anything you can play on the Great Highland Bagpipes, you can play on our ocarinas, which has caused a number
of pipers to embrace our ocarinas as exciting pocket pipes.
Easy To Play So That
You Can Reach Your Goals More Quickly
Their quick learning-curve and unique haunting sound mean that you can be ready to play in public in months, not years.
Sooner than that if you're already a musician!
- Mastering any instrument requires lots of practice, but with our easy-to-play ocarinas and
our step-by-step Learning to Play MOUNTAIN OCARINAS® music curriculum,
you'll play simple songs from the first session.
And you'll progress much more rapidly than you would on a traditional band or orchestral instrument.
For example, after playing for a few months, a beginner will sound much better on the ocarina than they would
if they had played the violin or flute for the same period of time. (Just remember that your best tone
is not achieved immediately. Rather, it will continue to improve over time. Of course, the more you play,
the quicker the process.)
- Because Mountain Ocarinas® don't require any special blowing technique, or lots of air,
or big hands, children can start at a younger age than with most other musical instruments. We have had nice results starting children
as young as five or six. (Note: With younger children, ideally one parent should learn along with them.)
- The carry-it-with-you factor can be a huge learning advantage! It is easy to rapidly improve your skills when you have
the opportunity to make music for a minute or two whenever you feel a bit bored. A 12 or 13 inch long tin whistle or recorder
is portable, but a four or five inch long ocarina is pocket-sized. For some of us, that makes all the difference.
Mountain Ocarinas® are lots of fun, but they are definitely not toys. In fact,
these are instruments to grow into, not out of, because they are designed to play at a higher level when you are ready.
What Is The Magic
Of A Pocket-Sized Flute?
2) Freedom: Our truly pocket-sized instruments give you the FREEDOM to play anytime...
Freedom To Take It With You
With Mountain Ocarinas®, it is easy to bring your ocarina with you
through life on its safety neckcord or in a pocket, purse, or belt case. As a result, you just naturally
find yourself playing in situations you may not have dreamed of:
- Sitting around a campfire with family or friends.
- Backpacking along mountain trails.
- Lounging on a warm sandy beach.
- Biking, canoeing, caving.
- In churches, nursing homes, or college dorms.
- At family reunions. At highway rest stops. On mission trips.
- Standing in a freezing New England stream to welcome the new year.
- Anytime you want to soothe your nerves or brighten things up with a little music.
Freedom To Practice Whenever
You Feel Like It
With Mountain Ocarinas®, you are free to rapidly grow your skills
whenever you have two minutes:
- Waiting patiently in a parked vehicle.
- Taking a quick, satisfying break from the computer.
- Sitting under a shady tree outside of your workplace.
- Watching burgers on the grill.
- Playing with your children.
- Running errands in the car. Passengers only!
- Resting flat on your back after a long day.
- (Investing small but frequent amounts of time into your ocarina will pay powerful dividends over time.
Each moment spent playing is also an investment in your own future musical enjoyment and in your ability to
serve others with your music.)
Freedom From Hassle
With Mountain Ocarinas®, you don't have to lug a bulky
case around, or tune strings, or assemble components, or wet reeds, or disassemble and clean up
afterwards just so you can play for a few moments!
- Those seemingly insignificant obstacles, taken together, form roadblocks that prevent many musicians from
ever touching their band instruments after high school.
- (What an incredible waste of all that time, effort, and acquired skill!)
- With your ocarina, if all you have is five minutes, you are free to play for the entire 300 seconds.
Freedom To Play By Ear
With Mountain Ocarinas®, you can quickly develop the skill of
playing by ear, making it easier to sit in with other musicians or to improvise.
- Since your ocarina is with you when sheet music is nowhere to be seen, you naturally tend to experiment with
a song someone was humming or that you heard on the radio. Then, one day, it dawns on you that you have gotten
pretty good at playing by ear.
- As a result, you enjoy playing music more and feel more like a real musician because you now have the
ability to quickly and spontaneously play new pieces just by having heard them.
Enjoy Making Music
With Mountain Ocarinas®, you can experience the joy of playing
an instrument as a relaxing anytime break. Too often, musical instruments are banished to a particular room in
the house and are only played during scheduled "practice sessions."
- Truthfully, you can't become an accomplished musician without lots of practice, and I am completely in favor
of regimented practice routines. My son has a practice schedule, and he plays his ocarina for me whenever we go
out in the car together. My point is that, through the ocarina, I have come to relish the experience of making
music when I choose to play, not just when I have to practice.
- With my ocarina, I can play at a moment's notice wherever I am. I don't have to run off and abandon my family
every time I want to play a couple of songs. As a result, music has become what I dreamed about as a kid: a joy
instead of an obligation. (Musicians know that you can experience this with any instrument. For some of us, though,
it took a certain pocket-sized chromatic flute to make it happen.)
- No musical instrument is right for everyone. But if you are a former musician who misses making music,
Mountain Ocarinas® may be what you have been looking for.
Make Your Own Music
With Mountain Ocarinas®, you can improvise and compose your own
songs whenever and wherever inspiration hits you.
Freedom From Worry
With Mountain Ocarinas®, you don't have to baby a fragile
or sensitive instrument.
- Mountain Ocarinas® are made tough so you don't ever have to leave
them behind. (They are also guaranteed against accidental breakage, just in case.)
- On a trip to Mexico that I took with a group of very musical people, my ocarina was the only instrument among
us. (It often is.) The guitars, trumpets, bases, clarinets, etc., all stayed home. What a shame! After all, music is an
international language, able to communicate even when words fail us.
Freedom To Stick With It
With Mountain Ocarinas®, many people find that they can
stick with music, even when life feels too busy.
- Mountain Ocarinas® are lifetime instruments that fit comfortably into a
pocket...and into your active lifestyle. There is no need to trade them in for your high school diploma the way many of
us did with our band instruments.
- Personal Note: As a very busy adult I'm an involved homeschooling dad with special needs children and
a demanding business I find time to play nearly every day simply because my ocarina is with me for whenever
I have a free moment. On the flip side, I'm afraid it's been a long, long time since I've picked up my wonderful
but bulky old saxophone. It just refuses to follow me around the way my ocarina does.
- Playing Mountain Ocarinas® doesn't mean that you give up the instrument(s)
that you already play. A number of serious flute, fiddle, keyboard, sax, trumpet, guitar, etc., players enjoy our
instruments as take-along friends, as well as for performance.
- Drummers are also attracted to them because they can wear an ocarina around their neck while performing and
quickly cross over to a different type of music.
Can I Really
Learn To Play An Instrument
3) Affordable Home Music Support: Mountain Ocarinas Inc. offers affordable learning materials and free
online support to allow you to grow musically at home, without a private teacher.
Who Will Teach Me
Our self-learning music curriculum called Learning to Play Mountain Ocarinas®
consists of a 24-unit book with 3 companion audio CDs. It guides you step-by-step from sounding your first notes to
playing from a book of folksongs or hymns.
- Learning to Play MOUNTAIN OCARINAS® doesn't just teach you to play the ocarina.
Rather, it teaches you to read music, which is a language that translates to any instrument.
- Absolutely no previous musical experience is required.
Where Can I Find Music
For The Ocarina?
To help you quickly develop a repertoire of beautiful songs, we also produce collections of music for our ocarinas,
such as 300 Celtic Folksongs, Favorite Carols in Easy Keys and Favorite Hymns in Easy Keys.
How Can I Set Up
A Home Music Program?
Free email/internet support from MOMTM, the Mountain Ocarinas Mentor,
is available to help you stick with music and reach your musical goals.
- MOMTM is a musical mentor, providing encouragement, instruction, inspiration,
and accountability to home music learners. Up to 10 family members per email address can receive individual help from
- MOMTM helps you set practice and performance goals. Then she tracks your goals and reminds
you of them because MOMTM knows that if you play a few minutes a day, you will be playing nicely within a year.
In five years...WOW!
- MOMTM's help is free of charge if you own our instruments, so families (especially home educators)
can save thousands of dollars each year on private lessons.
- In addition, MOMTM can help families avoid the hectic pace created by having to drive to all those
- And MOMTM helps you find ways to serve others with your music. (The most motivated
musicians are those who are preparing to play for others.)
- Over time, MOMTM will help you grow in your skills and musicianship with her projected forums
and online tutorials. (We only recently launched MOMTM after a long period of preparation, so many
good things that MOMTM hopes to offer are yet to come.)
- Come what may vacations, new babies, new jobs, etc. MOMTM's goal is to keep music going,
even when you forget.
What If My Ocarina Ever Breaks?
4) MOUNTAIN OCARINAS® Are Guaranteed:
We make our instruments tough precisely so that you will feel free to play anytime, anywhere.
Nevertheless, if one of your MOUNTAIN OCARINAS® is ever accidentally damaged to a point where
you can no longer play it, simply return it to us. We will replace it free of charge with an
ocarina of similar value.
We hope that you enjoy playing your ocarina as much as we do ours!
Karl Ahrens, COE (Chief Ocarina Enthusiast), About Me
Mountain Ocarinas Inc.
The owners of Mountain Ocarinas Inc.
(Note: All MOUNTAIN OCARINAS® include a fingering chart with tips and songs to get you started right away.)
Chromatic Hardwood Ocarinas
Chromatic Hardwood Ocarinas
These precision instruments are beautiful in both appearance and tone. They are also built to last.
We now make all of our ocarinas out of a type of phenolic-impregnated hardwood
called Dymondwood. Through a process involving heat and vacuum pressure,
the capillaries of the wood are filled in with phenolic resins. As a result,
the wood is not only very beautiful but it is also stabilized, making it
extremely resistant to changes in humidity, temperature, etc. For that reason,
our ocarinas require no "break-in" period or oiling. Dymondwood can be
a bit difficult to work because it is so hard, but the end result is well
worth the effort.
Chromatic Polycarbonate Ocarina
In The Key Of G
Key of G Chromatic Polycarbonate Ocarina Flute
Our polycarbonate ocarinas are precise replicas of our wood ocarinas. We even hand sand their windways.
As a result, their sound nearly matches that of our wood ocarinas. Great sound. Very tough.
They include a sturdy neck cord with a safety connector so you can wear them wherever and play whenever you want.
Chromatic Polycarbonate Ocarina
In The Key Of C
Key of C Chromatic Polycarbonate Ocarina Flute
Similar to our G ocarinas except that they are an inch longer, about half an octave lower in pitch, and mellower in sound.
They include a sturdy neck cord with a safety connector
Self-Learning Music Curriculum
By Cliff Schofer
- Learning to Play MOUNTAIN OCARINAS® consists of a 40 page book (24 units) and 3 companion CDs.
- This thorough introduction to music guides you step by step from sounding your first notes to playing from a book of folksongs or hymns.
- Designed for learning on your own, without a teacher, so absolutely NO prior knowledge of music is required.
- Note: The songs recorded on the instructional CDs are performed on a G ocarina.
300 Celtic Folksongs for
- A wonderful collection of traditional music from England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales that sounds great on the ocarina.
This book is also very suitable for other folk instruments. (We specify for MOUNTAIN OCARINAS®
only because some ocarinas do not have enough range to play all the songs in this book)
- Full of haunting ancient airs and ballads as well as spirited faster tunes.
- The easiest songs are noted so that learners can quickly find songs that they can play.
- Enough material to keep you busy for a long, long time.
Favorite Hymns in Easy Keys
A book of 45 hymns with lyrics and chords in an easy to read format.
Favorite Carols in Easy Keys
- Nineteen favorite Christmas carols in easy to read and play settings, with chords and lyrics.
- Chords and music are written so that a G or a C ocarina can play along with other musicians without transposing.
- Includes a tutorial on how to play your G ocarina with other musicians.